Monday, July 4, 2011

The Best Vegan Rice Pudding-Fit for a Baby!



This past week my daughter Abiline has not been much of an eater, so I have spent much of my time in the kitchen trying to concoct something that will please her. Tonight I think I found a winner. I was flipping through The Friend magazine we get from church and found a recipe for rice pudding called "Pioneer Pudding." I subbed for the whole milk and brown sugar and added some dates, but I kept the white rice since I had exactly 2/3 cup arborio rice in my cupboard that I have had for a few years and needed to be used up. I just took it out of the oven, and it is divine. It tastes like carmel! The rice is really soft, which should please little ones who are lacking some teeth and are not as confident chewing. If you want a heartier, more wholesome bite, I bet you could sub brown rice for the white.

2/3 c. arborio rice
1/3 c. brown rice syrup (I really prefer the mild sweetness of brown rice syrup, but you could sub another liquid sweetener here.)
2/3 c. coconut milk (full fat!)
1 1/2 c. plain hemp milk (I use Trader Joe's brand), or soy milk if soy is not an issue for you
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. pitted dates, coarsely chopped (Don't be shy of the dates--they melt in your mouth!)

1. Preheat the oven to 275 F. Lightly oil a 9x9 in. square glass casserole dish and add all of the ingredients. Stir to combine and disperse the brown rice syrup throughout.
2. Cook in the oven for 2 hours, uncovered.
3. Let cool and enjoy warm or chill a few hours in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment