Monday, August 22, 2011

Toddler Tabouli (Sort Of)


Here is my son Sawyer doing the "I don't want to eat bulgur" dance. He changed his mind after tasting this "Ummmm...there's nothing for lunch!" creation. Abiline devoured it (see below). Technically this isn't tabouli because of all the extra stuff I added, but it does have the olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley that tabouli requires. I added halved grape tomatoes to my portion, but the kids are not into raw tomatoes, so I don't force it on them. I don't think I "discovered" the joy of the raw tomato until I was in college, so there is hope for them yet.


1 c. uncooked bulgur
3 c. water
1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste after it's all mixed up
1 1/2 Tbsp. tahini
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 carrot, scrubbed and finely grated
1/2 c. garbanzo beans
1/2 c. broccoli florets
1/2 c. halved cherry tomatoes, optional

1. Boil water with 1/4 tsp. salt, and add the bulgur. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Let cool.
2. Microwave the carrot and broccoli for 2-3 minutes, until very tender. Puree the veggies with the garbanzo beans in a food processor.
3. Add the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, and pureed beans and veggies to the cooked bulgur and stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt if necessary. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, if desired, and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment