Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blueberry Bean Pudding




 "What could sound less appetizing than pudding made out of beans?" you may be wondering.  I first saw the idea for bean pudding on Celine Steen's Have Cake, Will Travel blog, and that was pretty much the reaction I had.  I eventually just had to try it, though, as I have been searching for more soft foods for Abbie's sore mouth.  I found, once again, that it's amazing what you will find tasty when you venture to eat outside of the box.  Abiline has been chowing down this pudding as her after-dinner bathtub dessert all week, and I have been enjoying it for breakfast. You could easily experiment with using different fruits, and I plan to do so as soon as this batch is gone!


3/4 cup berry-flavored yogurt
2/3 cup steel-cut oats, soaked in water overnight and then squeezed dry
3/4 cup oat milk (squeezed from the steel-cut oats)
1 cup cooked beans (I used 1/2 c. cannellini and 1/2 cup garbanzo)
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp. maple syrup (I had blueberry maple syrup on hand, but regular should do just fine.)
pinch of sea salt
1 generous Tbsp. soy-free Earth Balance margarine
grated zest of 1 orange
1 small ripe banana (optional-I made it without the banana and liked the flavor, but Abiline preferred it with a little mashed banana mixed in.)

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 9 inch round or square pan. Puree all of the ingredients in a blender, pour into the pan, and bake for 40 mins. It will still be jiggly in the center. Cool for 20 mins. on a wire rack and then transfer to the fridge to cool completely before serving.



We've been seeing a lot of this face lately. Poor, Abiline. The tooth fairy is not being kind to her. And  poor us, too. This isn't just a bad picture of Sawyer; we all look pretty wasted on days when our dear dudette wakes up crying so many times during the night due to the pain. I cannot wait until teething is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment